PCS offers outpatient mental health and psychiatric treatment services for children, teens and adults at the Barbara M. Vassel Comprehensive Care Center. Our team comprises a variety of experienced medical and mental health professionals that work together to meet your needs. Learn more about our team.
We treat a wide range of mental health concerns including depression, anxiety, women’s issues, mood disorders, history of trauma, grief, anger management, parents, family issues and life adjustments.
Mental Health Services
- Diagnostic assessments
- Individual counseling
- Group counseling
- Community Psychiatric Supportive Treatment (CPST)
- Family engagement
Dr. Lori Solaro, Board Certified Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, leads the PCS medical team in providing the following services related to mental health:
- Psychiatric evaluations
- Medication prescriptions and management
- Nursing support
- Ongoing psychiatric care
- Psychiatric nurse practitioner services for children, teens and adults
Vassel Center Features
The Vassel Center offers a welcoming atmosphere for you and your family. PCS recently relocated to the Highland Square neighborhood of Akron (please find maps and directions here). The newly renovated Vassel Center is designed to give you a positive experience when you receive outpatient services from PCS. You will find a warm reception area, a large and comfortable waiting room, a children’s waiting room, private therapy offices, and a dedicated area for psychiatry and other medical services.
The Sensory Room is a specialized area within the Vassel Center that can help with the treatment of trauma, ADHD, PTSD and other concerns. Unique to PCS, this sensory room was designed and created by two PCS therapists who specialize in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, a method that combines sensorimotor processing with cognitive and emotional processing. The room’s atmosphere and therapy objects are conducive in helping children and adults use their various senses to process their emotions.
To make an appointment, please call: (330) 996.4600. Our staff will help find the right practitioner for you. After your initial mental health assessment, together with your practitioner, you will determine a treatment plan and get started with mental health services.
We accept Medicaid, Medicare, and most private insurances.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am – 8:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Not sure if you need PCS services? Read more about the benefits of mental health treatment.
Refer to PCS
Below is information if you are considering referring your patients or clients to PCS for outpatient services:
- PCS can provide your patients or clients comprehensive mental health care as our Vassel Center consists of a medical team and mental health professionals.
- Our Vassel Center team specializes in trauma-based therapy, ADHD treatment, sensorimotor psychotherapy and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- When you refer someone to the Vassel Center, our staff will communicate if the client receives services.
- PCS can also support student clients at school, as we provide school-based therapy at 75 schools in Greater Akron.
- Our clinicians use evidence-based techniques such as motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioral therapy and trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy.
My son has been involved with Pastoral Counseling for 7 years and the services here have really helped him to reach his goals.
The staff at PCS makes me and my children feel like family. Thank you.
I absolutely love PCS and I would never consider another organization for my counseling needs. Thanks to everyone at PCS.